It’s been a long winter, and if you’re anything like us here at Dockside Guest Quarters & Restaurant, then you’re more than ready for warm weather and fun in the sun. Believe it or not, Memorial Day is just around the corner, and with it will come the unofficial start of summer. York, Maine is the perfect place to spend summer days and make happy memories with loved ones. The beautiful beaches call out to those who love the ocean and our quaint New England village will charm visitors from far and wide. To get the most out of the holiday, take a look at how to celebrate the start of the summer season, take a look at these ideas for Memorial Day Getaways in Maine.
Memorial Day Weekend 2015 in Maine
Memorial Day is an important part of the US calendar. It is a time to reflect on the service members who fought to protect the freedoms we enjoy in our country and honor their sacrifices. Over the years it has also come to signify the beginning of the summer season. After months of snowy winter weather and muddy spring days, summer in Maine is one of our favorite times of year. Attractions in Maine reopen after being closed for the off season, the warm weather beckons people outside, and the shore becomes populated by beach-goers ready to thaw out from the long winter. This year, Memorial Day is Monday, May 25th, and it’s right around the corner. So it’s time to start planning what you’re going to do to celebrate. Memorial Day weekend getaways in Maine are full of possibility and many activities to choose from.
Activities for Memorial Day Weekend Getaways
Whether you want to take it easy during Memorial Day weekend or pack in the fun, there are activities to suit everyone’s taste. Here are just a few of the things visitors can do during Memorial Day weekend getaways.
- Hang out at one of the York area beaches. These classic New England beaches have rugged shorelines but plenty of sand to stretch out on in between swims in the rolling surf.
- Nothing is more iconic in coastal Maine than one of the great lighthouses we have in the area. Visit the Cape Neddick “Nubble” Light in York Harbor or take a short trip to Cape Elizabeth to view the Portland Head Light.
- See a play at Ogunquit Playhouse. This amazing summer stock company will wow you with high quality productions of classic plays as well as new favorites.
- Explore York Village. There are shops and places to stop for treats in this picturesque seaside village. It’s the perfect place to spend an afternoon.
- Visit one of the many museums or heritage sites in York. Our area is rich in US history and Memorial Day is a great time to explore and appreciate that history. Old York and the Kittery Historical and Naval Museum are just two options.
- Honor those who have died in service to our country by seeing the annual Memorial Day Parade in York. The parade takes a route that allows veterans to place wreaths on the town’s monuments before arriving at the First Parish Church Cemetery for a ceremony.
Accommodations for Memorial Day Weekend Getaways
When planning Memorial Day weekend getaways in Maine, the right accommodations make a significant difference in your vacation experience. For the finest stay in the York area, Dockside Guest Quarters & Restaurant has you covered. Our accommodations are all individually decorated with classic New England decor and comfortably furnished to include all the amenities you deserve when you’re away from home. Many of our rooms have gorgeous water views and private decks. Or for more privacy and comfort and a week or longer stay, the Captain’s Quarters is the ideal place to call home while in Maine. The house has a fully equipped kitchen and 3 bedrooms to accommodate your group’s needs.
Not only are our accommodations top-notch, but we have a Restaurant with beautiful waterfront views and delicious dishes made with fresh local produce. You can expect high quality fare without the pretension associated with many fine dining establishments. Guests can look forward to classic dishes such as Crab Cakes, New England Seafood Chowder as well as other fresh Maine seafood dishes and steaks.
As you can tell, Dockside Guest Quarters will provide you with fine accommodations, great dining opportunities, and a wonderful overall Memorial Day getaway in Maine! We’ll see you soon!