Located just a short drive from the charming town of Portsmouth, New Hampshire, York, Maine is the perfect place to enjoy a quiet coastal vacation, yet be surrounded by a plethora of entertainment options. The Music Hall in Portsmouth NH is one of those places, offering world-class performances all year round. Just a 15-minute drive from York, it is an easy night out, and one that can be paired with phenomenal nearby restaurants. If you have a thing for theater, musical performances and the like, you’ll love a night at the Music Hall in Portsmouth NH on your next vacation in York, ME.
About the Music Hall in Portsmouth NH
Located in downtown Portsmouth, the Music Hall curates professional shows from around the world in their landmark 1878 Victorian theater. Recently named the “best performing arts venue” by Yankee Magazine, as well as the recipient of the New Hampshire American Institute of Architects award for design excellence, this is not a place you want to miss visiting on your next trip to this gorgeous coastal region. Come out for a night in a beautiful setting where you will find nothing short of jaw dropping performances to boot. With a variety of programs year round, you are sure to find something you will love at the Music Hall in Portsmouth NH.
Programs at the Music Hall in Portsmouth NH
- Music Hall Presents – This program showcases theater, dance, and musical performances on the main stage at the Music Hall in Portsmouth NH. Upcoming shows include the Ragpicker’s Dream; Tao: Seventeen Samurai; Celtic Nights: Spirit of Freedom; and The Moth Mainstage.
- The Ogunquit Playhouse at the Music Hall – This is a relatively new program in which the Music Hall brings broadway shows to their stage, much to the excitement of the local community and their many visitors. Get your tickets for Irving Berlin’s White Christmas, The Musical, which is running nightly from December 9th through the 20th.
- Writers in The Loft – This celebration of best-selling literature brings authors to the Music Hall to read from their latest books and share their inspiration. Upcoming authors include Alice Hoffman, Gregory Maguire, and Elin Hilderbrand.
- Hilarity – This Music Hall program showcases some of the best performers in standup and improv comedy today. Upcoming hilarity performers include Ryan Clauson, Juston McKinney, and Paula Poundstone.
- Writer’s on a New England Stage – This interview series gives ticket holders some insight into some of the most creative minds in the contemporary literary world. Come hear about their lives and muses on the main stage. Upcoming appearances include Salman Rushdie, Stacy Schiff, and Patti Smith!
- The District Restaurant Singer Songwriter Series – Hosted at The District, this singer-songwriter series features some of the most promising up and coming talent in the music industry. These quaint shows make for a wonderful evening out in Portsmouth.
The Music Hall in Portsmouth NH inevitably makes for a great night on the town, no matter what your performing arts interests are. You’ll be hard pressed not to find something that sounds like fun, so don’t forget to check the schedule when you’re planning your next trip to Dockside Guest Quarters! For more theater opportunities while planning your visit to the York area, you can also see what’s playing at the Ogunquit Playhouse.