Oh, the weather outside is frightful! But, that doesn’t mean it’s not delightful! With so many great things to do in Maine in winter, you’ve got to put on your winter gear and get out! From skiing to shopping, there is more than enough to fill up the whole season. So, beat the winter blues and go explore, go adventure, and have fun! Our 6 of the best ideas for things to do this winter will help guide you and keep you busy. Read on to learn more!
The Best Things to Do in Maine in Winter
- Ease into the season with some of the best shopping all year. Find deals at the Kittery Outlets where over 100 retailers make Christmas shopping easy. Not far north of York in Freeport, famous Maine outfitters, L.L. Bean, have their headquarters. Get lost in the sprawling storefront full of high-quality gear. Pro tip: Shop the clearance section to save big on offseason merchandise!
- Enjoy the history of one of Maine’s finest, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow. On February 27, the town of Brunswick holds a month-long festival to commemorate the famous poet’s birthday. Take in tours of his house, readings, films, literary themed church services, and a birthday celebration. Be sure to check out historic Bowdoin College where Longfellow both studied and taught.
- The ubiquitous sport of skiing is not to be overlooked. Countless opportunities may await the avid skier in upstate Maine, but skiing in Maine is an underrated activity. So, check out Gunstock Mountain Resort, the Abenaki Ski Area, or the Harris Farm for Cross-Country skiing. All of these are just a short distance from beautiful York, ME.
- Are you a history buff? Then, explore the Peary-MacMillan Arctic Museum at Bowdoin College. The museum is full of artifacts from the historic polar expeditions of Peary and Donald Baxter MacMillan. You’ll leave inspired by the pioneering spirit and raw courage of these men. Plus, you’ll see intriguing exhibits of some of the most important expeditions to the North Pole.
- Eat the most amazing lobster dinner you’ve had in your life. York is home to some downright delicious lobster and seafood restaurants. Savor the incredible variety of lobster dinners and entrees from famous restaurants like Fox’s Lobster House, Lobster Cove, Perkins Cove Lobster Shack, and Cape Neddick Lobster Pound Harborside Restaurant. You’ll have fond memories of this food for years to come!
- Head to Portland for the annual WinterFest! Great food, fireworks, a chili/chowder contest, a wing-eating contest, pancake breakfast, live music, frozen turkey bowling, and more await you! The festival celebrates winter by encouraging patrons to shop local, highlighting local businesses. The event is a huge hit every year and a great way to beat the winter blues!
Your Source for the Best Winter Activities
Here in York at Dockside Guest Quarters, we may be closed for the winter, but that doesn’t mean there’s not plenty still to do! And, when the snow and ice start to thaw and springtime rolls around, be sure to check in with us for the most luxurious rooms and amenities.